Fluoride is crucial for the fight against disease and decay in our everyday oral hygiene. While some waters and supplements include fluoride for oral care, nothing beats a trip to the dentist.
Lifetime Dental Excellence offers expert fluoride treatments conveniently in Clawson for patients in town and living in the surrounding areas. Take only a few minutes to protect your teeth from decay and damage.
How does fluoride help my teeth?
When you are born without any emerged teeth in your mouth, fluoride from water, food, and supplements help to build up the strength necessary to grow strong teeth. This is the natural way the body accepts protections for the mouth to fight decay and disease. Fluoride is as natural a protector to your teeth as a baby. The emergence of your teeth slowly reworks the minerals of your mouth and cause early stages of decay. Dentists administer fluoride in checkups and cleanings to help further protect your teeth. Products such as drinks and gums can also contain fluoride, but in smaller, less significant amounts.
Why should I get a professional fluoride treatment?
A professional fluoride treatment helps clear the mouth of major plaque and damage that often leads to issues like cavities and tooth decay. Some people are more likely to experience these things, but regular fluoride treatment helps to ensure the utmost protection for your teeth. A few reasons you may be in need of fluoride treatments are:
- Poor tooth structure
- Daily activities
- Cavities already developed in the mouth
- Drug and alcohol use
- Poor oral hygiene
- Irregular dental cleanings
- Bad diet
- Exposure to radiation in the mouth and jaw
In the office, fluoride is administered in either a foam, gel, solution, or varnish and placed directly against the teeth in a mouth guard. This method strengthens the teeth upon impact; the fluoride is kept in place for 2 minutes or so to set in.
What to do after professional fluoride treatment?
- Fluoride helps your teeth fight decay, but it does not replace regular brushing and flossing. Make sure to continue a rigorous schedule of twice-a-day brushing and flossing.
- Regular visits to our office are crucial, and regular fluoride treatments as directed by your dentist help make sure your teeth stay ready for the fight against decay.
- Decay increases when your diet includes sugary and processed foods. To find out which foods can increase your risk for tooth decay, talk to us about how to maintain a healthy, balanced diet to keep your teeth strong.
Lifetime Dental Excellence can let you know if professional fluoride treatments are a good idea for you. Our office is happy to help patients in Clawson, Royal Oak, Troy, Madison Heights, Berkley, Birmingham, Huntington Woods, and all over the greater Michigan area.